Extrem Cold Warning Issued – January 18, 2022
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
Birch Hills Co. near Eaglesham and Hwy 740
Birch Hills Co. near Wanham and Peoria
Clear Hills Co. near Chinchaga Wildland Prov. Park
Clear Hills Co. near Cleardale Worsley and Cherry Point
Clear Hills Co. near Hines Creek and Eureka River
Co. of Northern Lights near Dixonville and Cardinal Lake
Co. of Northern Lights near Manning and Notikewin Prov. Park
M.D. of Big Lakes near High Prairie and Winagami Lake
M.D. of Fairview including Fairview Whitelaw and Dunvegan
M.D. of Peace including Grimshaw and Berwyn
M.D. of Smoky River including Falher McLennan and Guy
M.D. of Spirit River including Spirit River and Rycroft
Nrn Sunrise Co. near Keppler Creek
Nrn Sunrise Co. near Peace River Nampa and Three Creeks
Saddle Hills Co. near Bay Tree and Silver Valley
Saddle Hills Co. near Moonshine Lake Prov. Park
Saddle Hills Co. near Woking
Extreme cold wind chill values near -40 will continue this morning.
Conditions may moderate slightly by the afternoon but a return to wind chill values near -40 is expected this evening. Temperatures should moderate by Wednesday.
Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.
Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
If it’s too cold for you to stay outside, it’s too cold for your pet to stay outside.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ABstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #ABStorm.
Alberta has declared a state of public health emergency
For a full list of restrictions please see the Alberta Government’s COVID-19 Public Health Actions.
Expanding booster doses to more Albertans
At-home rapid test kits available
Social gathering over the holidays
– Current Central Peace COVID Information –
Cases In The Central Peace
Active Cases In Central Peace Drop To 16
• Birch Hills County: 1 active
• M.D. of Spirit River: 11 active
• Saddle Hills County: 1 active
Follow the link for more info from AHS on Regional Cases:
Monitor Current Fire Bans, Wildfire Status, Smoke Conditions & Weather Alerts
Fire season in Alberta began March 1st every year. Permits are required for all burning except campfires in the Forest Protection Area.
- Fire Ban status in Alberta can be monitored by the smart phone app “Fire Bans” app or by visiting; https://albertafirebans.ca .
- Wildfire Status in Alberta can be monitored by the (new) smart phone app “AB Wildfire Status” app or by visiting; https://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire-status/status-map.aspx .
- Current smoke conditions can be monitored at: https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
- Monitor Public Weather Alerts for Alberta at: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=ab
- BC Wildfire Map: https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b
To help protect your home from wildfire, FireSmart it:
- remove flammable items that are within 5 feet of your property
- keep roof and gutters free from debris
- prune trees and shrubs regularly
- conduct a FireSmart home assessment
Talk to your neighbors about what you can do to FireSmart your community.
Learn more about how you can FireSmart your property, your community and your industry.
EMERGENCIES CAN HAPPEN ANYTIME
Make a plan. Create a kit. Stay informed.
There are various ways to stay informed of emergencies in the Central Peace and around Alberta.
- Alberta Emergency Alerts are issued to provide you with critical information about an immediate emergency, where it is occurring, and what actions you nee to take. Alerts are distributed in various ways, including: radio, television, social media, RSS feed, and the Alberta Emergency Alert App. Download the app to stay informed through your mobile device.
- Wireless alerting is another tool to receive emergency alerts. Wireless public alerts are issued to cell phones within a defined geographic area. These alerts are only issued for threat-to-life situations. You can learn more at alertready.ca, and check if your phone is compatible to receive wireless alerts. Sign-up is not required as all cell-phones are automatically registered.
- Municipal sources: Be careful of the authenticity of some of the information that is being shared. It is best to use trusted municipal sources for local information
- CPREM Facebook Page
- Birch Hills County
- MD of Spirit River 133
- Town of Spirit River
- Village of Rycroft
- Saddle Hills County
- Central Peace Fire & Rescue – website … Facebook
Spirit River AB T0H 3G0